Visually Impaired instructions for the Original GoBible and GoBible Voyager Units
Download now or stream below:
Hold the unit in a vertical position so the headphone jack is at the top of the right side of the unit. You should feel a horizontal screen on the front top half of the unit in this position. There is a removable plastic coating on the screen.
Below the screen, you will feel 9 recessed buttons; several of them have a raised dot on them.
Think of the buttons on the keypad similar to the buttons on a telephone keypad. If so, from left to right, the top row would be 1, 2, and 3. The second row would be 4, 5, and 6. The third row would be 7, 8, and 9.
Please note that buttons 1, 3, 7 and 9 are rectangle in shape and buttons 2,4,5,6 and 8 are smaller, circular buttons that stick up higher.
Now that you’re familiar with the unit and keypad, here is what the buttons represent:
Button 1: Stop
Button 2: scroll up and volume up
Button 3: play/pause
Button 4: back
Button 5: mode
Button 6: next
Button 7: bookmark/ button lock
Button 8: scroll down/volume down
Button 9: power on /off
Please take a few minutes to push the buttons and familiarize yourself with the unit.
Once you’re familiar, to turn the GoBible on press button 9 for 2 seconds and release.
Every time your GoBible is powered on it will take you to the device’s Main Menu where you will hear the narrator say “Old Testament,” which is the Main Menu’s first choice. The choices the main menu contains are: Old Testament, New Testament, Story Index, Special Features, Backlight Timer and Power Off. If you have a GoBible Voyager, you will have a menu choice of “My Downloads.”
Take a moment to press button 2 and button 8 several times, which is scroll up and scroll down to get familiar with the main menu.
When you hear the menu item you want press button 5, in the center, which is the mode button. Let’s say, for instance, you wanted to hear some audio in the Old Testament and you pressed the mode button after you heard the narrator say Old Testament.
Once this button is pressed, you will be able to navigate the books within the Old Testament. You should hear the narrator say “Genesis.” Scroll up or down using the #2 and #8 buttons to hear books of the Old Testament read out. If you want to begin play at the beginning of the book the narrator has announced, you may do so by pressing the #3 button, which is the play/pause button, one time. Please note that the New International Version or NIV GoBibles have an introduction before each book. Once playing, to skip past the introduction, please press the #6 or “next” button.
If you want to listen to a particular chapter or begin play at a particular verse, follow the same instructions to get from the main menu to the books of the testament you want to listen to. Please scroll through the books and press the #5 or mode button in the center of the keypad when you have reached the book you want. At this point you are at the chapter level and may scroll up or down using the #2 or #8 button and begin play at any chapter by pressing the #3 button, the play/pause button once and that chapter will play. If you had wanted to begin at a particular verse, press the #5, mode button on the chapter number and you will be taken to the verse page and you will hear the narrator say “Verse 1.” You may scroll up or down using buttons #2 and #8 to find the verse you wish to begin play and simply press the #3, play/pause button once to begin play at that verse.
While playing if you want to pause the audio, please press the #3 play/pause button once. To resume play, please press the same button again. If the unit is paused for more that 5 minutes it will turn off. To repeat a verse, please press the #4, back button and the unit will replay the previous verse. To skip ahead a verse, press the #6 or forward button. To adjust the volume louder, please press the #2 button while the audio is playing. To adjust the volume lower, please press the #8 button while the audio is playing. If you want to go back to the main menu while audio is playing, please press and hold down the #5, mode button for 2 seconds and you will hear the narrator say “Old Testament” and you will know you are at the main menu.
If you press the #1, stop button while the audio is playing, you will return to the menu you entered the audio from. If you want to go backwards through the menu structure, please press the #4, back button to return to the menu you wish or eventually to the main menu. When you hear “Old Testament” you know you are back at the main menu.
All items on the main menu work similarly.
For example, scroll up/down until you hear “Story Index.” When you hear it, press the #5, mode button. Now scroll up or down to choose stories from either the Old Testament or New Testament. Once you choose, press the #5, mode button. Now scroll up/down until you hear the story you want to hear then press #3, play button. The stories are generally in the order they appear in the Bible. When the story is finished, you will be taken back to the story index page you just made a selection from and you may scroll up or down to choose another story or to go back to the main menu from this point, press the #4, back button.
From the main menu, if you scroll to Special Features and press the #5, mode button, you will have a choice between Book Marks, Topic Index, Holidays/Events, Bible in a Year and Voice Menu. The Topic Index and Holiday/events indices work exactly as the story index does. Users with sight impairments should not access the bookmarks and voice menu. For the Bible in a Year plan, the user should keep track of the week and day they are currently on. Each day has between 2 and 7 selections and works like the story index in that you will listen to a selection and it will take you back to the page that you made the selection from and by pressing the #8, down button you may move to the next selection.
Some helpful notes:
1) There are several ways to power off the GoBible. If you are playing the audio, please press the #1, stop button and then the #9 power button for 2 seconds. If you are in the menus, please press the #9 power button for 2 seconds. Or, if you are in the main menu, scroll to the selection of Power Off, please press the #5, mode button once and the unit will power off.
2) If you ever feel lost, please remember that while the audio is playing, pressing the #5 mode button for 2 seconds will take you back to the main menu and if you are lost in the menus, you may press the #4, back button to get back to the main menu.
3) You may want to turn the backlight timer off to save battery life. This may be accessed from the main menu. Please press the #5 mode button and you will hear the narrator say “backlight timer” again and please press the #5 mode button one more time. At this point you will hear the length of time the backlight is set for. Scroll down by using the #8, down button to when you hear “Always off” and press the #5, mode button. You will then hear the narrator say “backlight timer” then please press the #4, back button one more time and you will then hear the narrator say “backlight timer” and now you are back at the main menu.
4) The #7, bookmark/button lock button should not be used.
5) The Original GoBible is powered by one AAA battery and the positive side of the battery goes on the left if you are holding the unit upright. The battery door is on the back bottom of the device. The GoBible Voyager is powered by a rechargeable AAA battery and the positive side of the battery goes on the left if you are holding the unit upright. The battery door is on the back bottom of the device. The battery may be charged while still inside the Voyager through a computer via USB cord or in the wall using the USB cord and the AC adapter. The GoBible Voyager may not be used while the battery is charging.
6) Both the Original GoBible and the Voyager come with a battery that is wrapped in a plastic cover, which must be peeled off.
Enjoy your GoBible and if you have any questions or comments, please email email@example.com